(I really need to find out who drew this picture, I love it so much and use it all the time! If anyone knows, please let me know!)
So here are some lovely facts about Teddy Bears:
- The classic “Teddy’s Bear Picnic” song was written in 1907. Penned by American composer “J.K. Bratton.
- The American Teddy Bears were named after President Theodore Roosevelt after he refused to shoot a bear.
- Some famous teddy bears: Paddington Bear, Winnie the Pooh, Fozzie Bear, Rupert, those Bears from Play School (Litted Ted and Big Bear, I think?)…and Ted.
- In the very early 1900’s, bear toys were called ‘Bruins’. The first advertisement for Bruins appeared in the American toy trade magazine Playthings in May 1906.
- In 1912, as the world received news of the sinking of the Titanic on her maiden voyage with shocked disbelief, the German soft toy company run by Steiff created a black bear to give as mourning gifts for all those who lost loved ones on the Titanic.
For even more facts about Teddy Bears, please look up this incredible article! 33 Top Teddy Bear facts you probably never knew! Now give your Teddy a hug!