October is Black History Month in the UK. We asked colleagues across WordPress.com for their recommendations for deeper learning and participation this month — and the rest of the year.Celebrating UK Black History Month: Learning Resources, a Read & Watch List, and Content Creation Tools — WordPress.com News
I have learnt to appreciate a LOT with my weekend at my Grans.
Anyway, apart from that and after the horrible first day. The next few days were alright. Mainly because, and I don’t know why we didn’t think of it before. We wrote notes to my Gran, letting her know where I was sleeping, the dates that I’m here too and the days and dates that my Aunt and my Mum were going to be here too.
I felt HORRIBLE that first day, and I think that I upset the routine, and I never truly recovered from that day, for the rest of the week. My stomach hurt the whole time, which is a tad annoying when your family lives near a beach town. I had all these plans, and they went “poof”.
However, I LEARNT a lot.
My Gran was probably the most influential person in my life, I learnt my Reiki and Tarot cards from her. She was a library manager, and surrounded all her grand children with books and plays and musicals. On my Mums side in particular, we have a pretty amazing family. We’re all different, but we get on really well. Like I would say my Mum’s family are probably my best friends.
So seeing my Gran just make up story after story. Which I don’t even know if you can say that, because to her, it’s the truth. She’s not “lying”, because in her mind, that all actually happened. Which is what makes going out in public, really awkward sometimes. Because she’s a local, living in a small town, and if you knew her, but not as well as her family does, you’d think nothing was wrong, she is still very articulate. She was introducing me as her grand daughter (correct), but saying to people that I had flown over. Which I have lived in this state my whole life, but also in Australia, most of the borders are closed to other states, because of COVID.
What I learnt over the past few days is just how important family is. Especially when one member is really ill. My Gran gave so much too her community, and between my Aunt, mother and I, we’re the only ones who really communicate with her. We all have a story of a “life long friend or family friend” ring her up, only to discover when we are there, they hang up. Not to be heard from again. Which has made me angry, because a LOT, if not all of her friends are now friends with each other BECAUSE OF HER.
I just hope they’re not treated the same way.
So, sorry about the story, haha. What I learnt is probably the best lesson my Gran has actually been trying to teach me my whole life “Don’t waste time. Live Your Life, and as long as it doesn’t harm you or others, life threateningly … Just Do It!”
So, it’s about half way through the year and a little later in the day I write about what I have learnt during this month of Pride. What I would like to hear about though, we are pretty much through at least half way through the year (can you believe it!) Have you learnt anything during this year, so far? And if you have, would you like to share what that is?
It can be about yourself, it can be about the world. It can be something that you think is teachable. For myself, I’ve learnt to actually read someone’s profile before I respond to them on social media. I have learnt, you kind of get a idea of where that person is coming from.
A lot of the times, they are just a idiot, repeating the same bigotry mantras’. But at least I learnt that before getting into a endless “debate” of them being in bad faith. It has actually saved me a lot of time, and I’ve saved a lot of words, time and mental health.
- If I put the shampoo and the conditioner in my hair at the same time, I cut my shower in half =D Instead of shampoo in for five minutes, rinse. Conditioner,5 minutes, rinse. Do it at the same time!
- I adore my friendships with my ex’s. I feel like if you’ve ended up in an ex relationships, because it just wasn’t working. Treasure those friendships. They’re unusual friendships, because of the romantic past, you know things about each other and have been through some things together. You know where you’re both coming from.
- I learnt about ‘Impostor Syndrome’ this year. Not for myself, but it really did come up a lot this year.
- Halal Birds are actually killed kinder than Westerners. The birds are not allowed to see the knife/blade, they sharpen it every time and they say a pray. Whereas Westerners don’t say a pray, grab them by their legs, don’t care if they see the blade.
- How someone can know you for your entire life, but not know you.
- Sometimes blocking people is the most grown up thing to do.
- How much I know more about America than some Americans,lol.
- I think chamomile tablets actually seem to work for me.
- Love on the Spectrum is the best television show, if you can, check it out!
- Creole means – are ethnic groups which originated during the colonial era from racial mixing mainly between Africans as well as some other people born in the colonies, such as Europeans and sometimes South Asian and Native American peoples; … Go Beyonce!
- Handwriting these days it’s extremely hard to do when you can’t even remember that last time you wrote a letter.
- There’s this thing where people crack open a little bit of beer, and put the can in a chickens bottom! It’s a good marination, apparently.
- Christmas Beetles…Fly! I had no idea!lol
- I love how some songs you find can relate to all sorts of relationships, not just romantic
Uploaded by: Selena Gomez
So I was having a conversation with some people, from both “sides”. About a Muslim woman who had her Habib removed, and how much this has traumatised her. Now when I say “conversation” I mean one person said that this Muslim women was over reacting and she was doing a disservice to people who have experience actual trauma. Then proceeded to call us wackos, because we said “How would she know what’s traumtising to another human being”. We were apparently the wackos because we don’t have super human abilities to detect if a complete stranger is traumatised or not.
Then she’s not a bigot, because she knows people from different cultures and has mixed race children. Then proceeded to like a comment from an actual wacko, who was saying that Subway wont serve pork anymore because Muslims “made them”. Then we had people who work at Subway say that’s wrong, but of course she didn’t like those then. Then when someone said she must be a Trump supporter, she said she can’t be because she’s Canadian. Like other people from other countries aren’t Trump supporters.
Then someone was claiming that Christianity was not trying too take over American Laws. They asked use to prove by saying that show a Law where the word God or Jesus was in it. So I mentioned the recent abortion Laws. Where if you have an Abortion, you can be charged with murder, as the Representative signed it into Law. She said and I quote “This is God’ Will”. They can’t actually have something like “Gods Abortion Law” But we all know what she means by Gods will…She didn’t say “Allahs Will” now, did she?
The post that I made yesterday, I was going to post it today instead. I’m not exactly sure how I got them confused, but this felt like an appropriate Blog to write. It was an odd weekend, I actually woke up with a headache this morning. I very rarely get headaches.
So this weekend, I learnt:
That Folau is an idiot and no one should have ever listened to him to begin with. You know what irritates me about what Folau said…Other than everything? Australia legalised same sex marriage two years ago…Isn’t it more likely God is angry that we keep voting climate change deniers to lead? When they destroy the Earth that God created? Leaders who bully teenage kids who want just want to save the planet that God created? I mean common sense says, that’s more likely? If God is everywhere and sees everything…Why not two years ago? Is that because #lovewins but destroying the planet for money, isn’t love?
Saying that we should pay not pay anymore attention to Kanye West either. Just another “False Christian”.
That apparently there is a research topic going on as to why Trump supporters have no problem with Trumps lying. Let’s be honest, has there ever been a leader like Trump before? Whose such a pathological liar? : LAMag – Trump Lies Research
What did you learn over the weekend?
I cannot believe that I forgot to mention this to pretty much everyone, except for my partner.
I started an online course to do health administration. Which are the receptionist/front desk people at General Practices, Dentist, etc. I am honestly, excited to be doing it. I am already learning the differences between viruses, bacteria, pathogens etc. I started at the beginning of this week (online, so I can keep working) I’ve already passed one test and I handed up my first assignment today.
It has been really nice learning something again. I think that learning is just something I’ll be doing for the rest of my life. Learning and Studying. I’ve been trying to get into courses on how to start your own business, but they are just all so expensive! I’ve been finding with this online course, I can keep working, learn and hopefully get myself something more permanent.
A colleague of mine and I were sitting around during a quiet time and just talking about how we don’t actually know what the I or i, stand for in the products. We then went and looked up what each i or I stands for.
iPhone – I = Internet.
Icentral – I = Information (TAFE)
IT – I = Information (Technology)
iOS – I = iPhone (Operating System)
iPod – I = Internet (Pod)
iPad – I = (Internet Pad)
Wi-Fi – I = Nothing…It is not a word or an acronym. It stands by itself.
I bet you all really wanted to know that one!
It’s been just a little over a month since I’ve started taking my anxiety medications and there are some things that I have learnt over that time…I have learnt a lot! Mainly about myself, but I wanted to share my experiences with you and maybe we could learn together!
- Coffee – I loved coffee but oh my goodness! I stopped having it for a while and I went to have a cup recently and “Oh my Goodness” You can feel how your mind becomes messed with up coffee, especially when you haven’t had it for a while. It’s almost like being on a low dosed mind altering drug.
- Eating well – I have been a LOT better lately and I have actually been losing weight. It’s been amazing! I feel when I eat a lot of bad food I just feel sick. Probably something to do with what is altering my mind to suffer from less anxiety can’t cope with bad food very well. It needs nutrients!
- Activity – I guess because mine isn’t a social anxiety, I have been trying to do a lot more things. So I’ve been doing a lot more things, so I’m not thinking about anxiety all the time.
- Saying all that as well – I’ve been finding on how I’m feeling that there are certain things I just cannot watch anymore. For the moment, if I see a program regarding mental health I have to be really carefully about not setting myself off.
- Yourself – Sometimes it can feel very lonely to be going through this. What I’ve learnt is that even people who say “get over it” Do want too help. They just don’t understand. I’ve learnt to speak more up for myself.
- Relaxation – I am natural worrier, it’s the hardest thing in my life to just “relax” and not worry. This is my hardest lesson. It’s also though how I am trying the hardest in my life to just “relax”. I feel if I could truly learn to do this, my anxiety would just ‘go away’. When I start to feel a bit anxious, I like to sing a song in my head and just repeat. While I find something to occupy my mind with.
Share Your World – November 6, 2017
Would you rather take a 2 week vacation with an organized tour or take a cruise of your choice?
I’d rather have the 2 week vacation only because I get sea sick and would probably end up doing nothing on a cruise except for lying on the bed and throwing up the whole time. I wouldn’t enjoy that at all! I’d rather have a two week vacation of my choice,lol
Did you like swinging as a child? Do you still get excited when you see a swing?
I used to actually feel sick when I’d go on the swing, because I’d make myself go really high, but I loved it anyway. When I go past one I have to honestly stop myself from going on one. Mainly because when I’m walking past one I am usually walking by myself, or on my way to work, so it’d probably seem a little weird.
What is the most important thing that you ever learned ? (I bet it’s not something you learned in school)
Oh gosh, there is so much that I have learnt in my life time. Where do I talk about the most important? I think the most important to is to remember to be kind and to keep laughing. I made this silly comment the other day on Facebook, one that I thought was nothing really. It was about stop making nothingpeoplefamous (ie Milo Yiannopoulos). The guy is a nothing, he has no real power, he makes his money off of people’s stupidity. By telling bigoted people what they want to hear (I didn’t put that all in though, just the #stopmakingnothingpeoplefamous…that was it) Oh my goodness this one lady told me to kill myself and that I was clearly a dyke. Her reaction such an OVERREACTION, I genuinely felt bad for her. I genuinely felt bad for her and apart from telling her to get off of Facebook and get a hobby, for genuine concern. Everyone else was attacking her enough.
It made me stop and realise these people I engage with via Trump or SSM or other disagreements, these people tend to just follow what they’ve been told with no actual research. On Twitter they just tend to retweet things and I feel sorry for them. Their world must be just so small. They probably will never “get it”. Just understand be kind knowing that they probably honestly do not “get it”.
I don’t know where I was going with that,lol.
What inspired you or what did you appreciate this past week? Feel free to use a quote, a photo, a story, or even a combination.
This is going to sound weird, but I appreciated this week the people that were asking me if I was waiting in line or had I already ordered in such a polite way. I think most of us see strangers mainly on social media these days and all these strangers just generally being nasty to one another. It’s nice to interact with strangers being nice to each other.