So I’m not exactly 100% sure if this is actually Happy Birthday or Happy =( Birthday…My cholesterol is a funny thing. I think genetically both on my Mums and my Dads side they have it. A couple of months ago I go my cholesterol checked, then I thought I’d get it rechecked because it was a fasting test. An hour before I did the test, I had a cup of tea. So my Doctor and I decided it’d be best to have a redo. It went up! I wish I had stuck with the previous results!lol…The tests were only a couple of weeks apart.
Today, one day after my birthday, I am off to see a dietitian and a exercisiologist. Instead of hoping on the drugs straight away,lol
I’m actually kind of excited, because I do feel like I need a change in my lifestyle. About 3 years ago now I developed sciatica and it was bad. I put on weight and got lazy. The doctors would give me pain medication, and it’d take the pain away, but not the sciatica. I used to be able to walk really fast (I used to do Ballet) can’t anymore. I used to love snacking on fruit and vegetables…Now I snack on chips and biscuits…Almost like an addiction I’d say.
- Find some low cholesterol recipes…I went to the doctors and my cholesterol is a bit high, so over the next month they want me to lower it. It has been amazing after that and looking at the actual packaging on food, how much sodium there is in everything! I need to sit down and look up/write some recipes.
I did manage to lower my cholesterol. Unfortunately, it wasn’t really enough. After some talking with my Doctor and realising half my family suffer from high cholesterol. I’ve been put on these tablets that are supposed to help lower it. I just have to keep up with healthy eating.
- I’ve decided that I’m going to have a “slumber pj movie night” for my birthday, it’s going to be held in the first weekend of May.
I did this too! I had such a good time and all without drinking either! I still felt really bad the next morning. After eating well for a month, eating a whole bunch of bad food in one night…Probably not my smartest plan! I learnt a lot about one of my favourite musicals as well “Phantom of the Opera”
- For my birthday I am going to look into having a “make your own smoothie” bar, since I can’t really drink. See how I can have movies and games at the same time.
I did this as well and I bought a whole bunch of almond milk and different fruits. Then the people who were all interested in having the smoothies, didn’t even end up coming! I ended up having over the next few days, otherwise, what a waste of fruit! They were really good, but I think smoothies are better for Summer time, not cold weather.
- Maybe…Maybe looking at hiring outdoor furniture for my partners house for my birthday…Maybe…
We didn’t really do this one. However, my partner liked my idea of bean bags and he ended up buying two and now he wont get out of them!lol
- Look for a frame that will fit 4 A4 size pictures in…Maybe ask for one for my birthday,lol
Although I did not find a frame. I have come up with a plan. I’ve got a black sheet of paper, and I am going to get people to write on it over time. Then when I put the pictures in the frame, I will use the black sheet of paper behind the pictures. In years time, if I take the pictures out, I’ve got all these lovely messages and quotes.
- Try Winter jeans/pants on, make sure that they still fit.
I have been doing that and I have been finding that they are fitting. Since though the last month or so, I have been lowering my cholesterol. Since then I’ve lost weight and now all the jeans are just that little bit baggy on me…You can never win!lol
Nearly there with this one…It will definitely be up by next week!
*I definitely have to incorporate these things into my life!*
You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit. Pick up habits that will have an impact on your life. There are many out there, but we’ve found 21 daily habits that are easy and valuable.
via 21 Daily Habits For A Better Life — Chief Health
I think to start off this month of health goals I am definitely going to stick with having a cup of water every day and a piece of fruit at least three times a week. Just doing these two alone made me feel so much more better.
- I’ve decided to change my meditations to my health goals, since it’s just as important to take care of my mental health. I want to increase my meditations to 3 times a week. Twice a week is fine, but I feel like I could better if I do it three times a week.
- I’m also looking at getting my meditations onto my iPod, so I can listen too them when I’m on the bus or start getting anxious in public.
- I need to do stretches again to make my legs strong again. I need to find an app or some kind of video I can do stretches too. I’ll be doing this three times a week once I find a suitable exercise.
- I’ll also be keeping up with the Fitness Marshall, but switching up the songs.
- I also want to find a lotion that will help give me less “blemishes”. I’m 33 and I still get blemishes all over my face!
- At least twice a week I’ll will “go to sleep” between 11-11:30…Turn everything off, all lights, no t.v. playing in the background.
- Start taking fish oil tablets every day.
I really should have started my health goals at the end of September…But when your father have a major heart attack…It sort of makes you kick into gear!
My goals were:
- Three pieces of fresh fruit a week
As well as with water I found this one shocking with how little fruit I was eating. I usually have some kind of salad at dinner, unless it spaghetti bolognese or something like that. Also like water though this was easy to do as well, instead of snacking on biscuits or chips when I’d get home, I’d have a piece of fruit instead. I just had to make sure that there was always some kind of fruit in the house. There were times when we didn’t have any fruit in the house, so I’d have to wait till the next day to go food shopping.
- Once a week I will make a meal from scratch
Yeah, I knew this one was going to be a lot more difficult to do. This one never happened, but I am determined to make it so for the next month. Once a week…How difficult can that be? Right?
- Three times a walk a 15 minute walk, at least. One at my partners house and two at my house.
This one has been a lot easier to do, the weather is becoming a lot more nicer here.
So this one I didn’t end up doing. I’ve been doing extra walking, but I do want to start doing this one as well. Especially as this time of year, all that good food that’s coming out.
- Drink one cup of water a day.
I shocked myself recently when I realised how little water I was actually drinking. The health benefits of drinking water are out of this world! This goal ended up being the easiest out of the lot and I thought it was going to be the hardest! I literally would get home from work and just have a glass. Those days I didn’t work, I end up having water before I drunk my coffee or tea, usually it would be before my second cup of the day. I was finding that once you were in the kitchen, preparing anything really, it was just so simple to fill a glass up. The biggest difference between the easiness of this one versus the fruit, water is pretty well everywhere. You don’t really have to “stock up” on it.
Last week I made a post about my first month of goals for myself that I was going to achieve by the end of September. Then over the weekend I had a lot of things happen in the space of 48 hours. Mainly the big one my Dad was unexpectedly taken to hospital. I mean REALLY unexpected. He was visiting his GP then the next thing he was taken to hospital. They think that he had a mini heart attack. He is alright now, but it was scary!
It seems to have been that around birthdays this year, everyone has gotten seriously ill.
- Two parties – One 30th and another 60th, both had a heart attack within the week of their birthday.
- One 70th had a stroke.
- Someone I know who is only 32 has cancer
So as you can imagine then my health has become a main priority. Too get myself checked out and see what I need to do. I have decided to make posts with different goals, rather than my regulars one from earlier this week. I guess you might want to look at them as both a mental health post and a physical health post.
- Three pieces of fresh fruit a week…I know this sounds shocking, since you’re supposed to have some every day. With so many food options out there, it just seems quiet easy to just not eat fruit.
- Once a week I will make a meal from scratch – This one should be interesting!
- Three times a walk a 15 minute walk. One at my partners house and two at my house.
- Half an hour with the “Fitness Marshall” twice a week. Check him out!
- Drink one cup of water a day. This is another thing that has shocked me, how little water I drink as well!
There is a Simpson quote for everything!
I would love to share ideas with you all, ladies and special ladies alike…What would your “dream girls night in” entail?
You seen it’s been a rough year for a lot of my girlfriends. I’m not talking about your usual break ups and cheating hearts. Too of my girls have had horrible health issues one found a huge cancer (which has now been taken out and they think they got it all). The other had a heart attack, both of these girls are younger than me.
So I have been thinking about having a ladies night! But having the night in, so we can just sit and chat and just have a bit of fun in a safe environment. I have a few ideas, but I would really love to share ideas around. I would also definitely have to have healthy snacks and such. We would probably watch Magic Mike *nods head*
Here are some of my ideas, please share your own ideas!
- Everyone can wear their pyjamas if they so wish, or some chilled/relax clothing.
- Thinking of some fun little accessories, too take selfies with clearly.
- Disney,LoTR, Harry Potter and comedies playing in the background.
- We HAVE to have healthy snacks and drinks.
- Party bags with goodies.
- Games…but what games?!
- I will probably bring out some of my favourite plushies.
23. My favourite physical trait
I’ve been trying to think of a physical trait that I am grateful for, but it seems a funny thing to be grateful for a physical trait, rather than maybe like a mental one, or a personality one. I guess the one that stands out the most, for myself, it’s probably my hair. I get a lot of positive vibes from it, whether or not I am wearing it up or down. I feel grateful for it, because it’s so long, thick and luxurious. People are always talking about how they want my hair. The other reason I’m grateful for it, is because it’s healthy and thick. Means that I am very lucky and that I am not sick. Sure it falls out, but I have a lot of hair. I’m not losing it in big quantities, so I think it’s a good reminder to myself that I am healthy and well.
It’s also one of the good things that I got from my Dad. I have gotten a lot of more “unwanted” things from my Dad. He’s anxiety and probably his worrying and paranoia. I’m not a paranoid person, bordering on psychotic, but I do worry…a lot. Once I start worrying about something, I find it hard to stop worrying about it.
Probably not the first words that you want to see on a Monday morning…or maybe you do, I’m not here to judge you and your freakish ways (I am totally not being serious by the way ~.^).
However, I came across this article over the weekend and I thought that I would share it with you.
A new Canadian study finds exercise, anger may trigger heart attacks
According to the article going out to do a “full-on” exercise routine when you are particularly angry may actually increase your chances of getting a heart attack. I guess because working out when you are angry increases, pretty much everything. Your heart rate increases, your breathing does…EVERYTHING!
Which I found interesting, because I don’t know about everyone else, that’s the time I go out and have a long quick walks. I used to do them all the time in a past relationship! I used to just take off and go for a long walk.
Being angry or upset doubled the risk of suffering heart attack symptoms within an hour; heavy physical exertion did the same. Having both at the same time more than tripled the risk for a heart attack. The risk was greatest between 6 p.m. and midnight, and was independent of other factors such as smoking, high blood pressure or obesity.
I guess my question to you is what would you do instead? Do you, my lovely readers, have other ways to calm yourself down? Personally, I like listening to music, to soothe me.
This should definitely make some of us out there very happy!
5 ‘unhealthy’ foods that are actually good for you
I have to say that I was especially happy to hear that Peanut Butter can be healthy for you! Happy and extremely surprised … I guess though, and this article does repeatedly remind us, that it’s all good in moderation.
With the ‘wine’ thing, it doesn’t completely surprised me that drinking it moderately is healthy for you. When you think about it, how relax and happy you feel. That has to be good for you, even if it’s just for the spirit. As mentioned though being an alcoholic or a binge drinker would have a different effect.