42 secrets you never knew about the Titanic and the people aboard it.
The Titanic sank on April 15, 1912 – 108 years ago.
The wreck was discovered 34 years ago on September 1, 1985.
While there have been many movies, books, and research about the ship, you might be surprised to hear these secrets of the Titanic and those onboard.
From a cellist who wasn’t declared officially dead until 2000 to the divorces that the sinking ended up causing, the Titanic affected the world in a multitude of unexpected ways.
One hundred and six years ago, one of the most famous – and deadliest – disasters took place.
On April 15, 1912, at 2:20 a.m., what was deemed one of the most luxurious and safe ships ever built, hit an iceberg and sank off the coast of Newfoundland, taking more than 1,500 lives. The ship, the world’s largest passenger ship at the time, was on its maiden voyage, headed from Southampton, England, to New York City.
It would take 73 years for the ship’s wreckage to be found. Dr. Robert Ballard and scientist Jean-Louis Miche located the remains of the Titanic on September 1, 1985.
While the tragedy has inspired myriad movies, books, and articles, the ship and its passengers still hold secrets and little-known facts that might surprise you.
Keep reading to remember the Titanic and those onboard, and learn more about those affected by the tragedy.
What a horrible week!
Apart from a lovely a visit from my baby brother, everything else has gone horribly wrong!
I do have to say that I have been loving the responses to my Liebsters Award post and how its not just myself that has some good plush love happening! In a totally G rated capacity…(that could have been weird!lol)
Below is a picture of myself and my latest purchase…Her name is Savannah and she is a “Charlie Bear“, but I had to go on ebay to find her. They’ve all discontinued her year. I bought her because she looked just the right size for some cuddling and I also bought her in memory and in honour of all the little lion cubs that I’ve seen and we’ve lost on safarilive
Lions have always been my favourite and top 5 favourite animals of all time!
What a complicated this one is! Well not really, but I’d love to have been look into his mind.
Thomas Jefferson was one of the original founders of the Declaration of Independence. He was also a complicated man in that he “seemed” to be for Independence, one moment he wanted to include the Native American as “free”…But kept African Americans as slaves…Then had children with his slaves. He was a “strong” disciple of the Greek and Rome teachings and went forward with a school “University of Virginia” that was ‘free’ of Church teachings and generally shunned Christian (and was shunned by) teachings.
“All men are created equal”
While this is a true quote of Jefferson’s, he didn’t exactly always “live” by it. When he got older he also wrote how and his belief that blacks and whites could not live together as free people in one society because of justified resentments of the enslaved. I think of today and it’s still pretty much true really.
It’s what I mean by “complicated” One moment he didn’t mind having slaves himself, but at the same time recognised the problems with it. He also seemed to be against international slave trading, but not so much domestically.
In 1807, Congress passed the Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves, which Jefferson signed. The act established severe punishment against the international slave trade, although it did not address the issue domestically.
His own slaves were sold at a public auction when he died. Over his life he “obtained” over 600 slaves. Jefferson was known as well as a “benevolent” slave owner, meaning that he gave them good food, cabins etc…But he still had them.
Write a new post in response to today’s one-word prompt. Not sure how to participate? Here are the steps to get started.
via Fact — The Daily Post
When I watch people today…I wonder to myself…Why do people seem to think that their opinion is a fact? When they don’t agree with that person, the other person’s opinion is “invalid”.
OPINIONS ARE NOT A FACT! EVER…NEVER EVER HAVE BEEN
Every opinion is valid, because that’s what they are…an opinion. You’ve looked at the facts and made an opinion about them. This is the thing about facts…A fact cannot be changed, how you perceive it though is an opinion. Human Beings have a tendency to do that a lot. Change a fact to suit themselves.
Take, for example, the whole Trump mess…How one thing is not okay for Hilary to do, but perfectly fine for Trump to do? Now the facts of that matter do not change, they both do something horrible, yet one is worse than the other?
Trump paying for sex with a hooker while his wife is nursing, is somehow better than Bill Clinton having consensual sex with Monica? Sure, to some and their opinion Clinton will always be worse. I do wonder if their partner did to them when Bill and Trump did to their wives, which one would they really think is worse?
One person you like, doesn’t mean that the person you don’t like, doing the exact same thing makes only one of them worse…Same is Same…That is a fact!
These funny little things, with their funny little waddles:
These funny little things are just the most interesting of birds, and there are so many different varieties and have represented in all sorts of forms.
Did you know:
- Penguins can drink sea water. Penguins ingest a lot of seawater while hunting for fish, but a special gland behind their eyes—the supraorbital gland—filters out the saltwater from their blood stream. Penguins excrete it through their beaks, or by sneezing.
- The Emperor Penguin is the tallest of all penguin species, reaching as tall as 120 cm (47 in) in height.
- Little Blue Penguins are the smallest type of penguin, averaging around 33 cm (13 in) in height.
- A Penguin’s black and white plumage serves as camouflage while swimming. The black plumage on their back is hard to see from above, while the white plumage on their front looks like the sun reflecting off the surface of the water when seen from below.
- Penguins in Antarctica have no land based predators.
- Fossils place the earliest penguin relative at some 60 million years ago, meaning an ancestor of the birds we see today survived the mass extinction of the dinosaurs.
- If a female Emperor Penguin’s baby dies, she will often “kidnap” an unrelated chick.
- The first published account of penguins comes from Antonio Pigafetta, who was aboard Ferdinand Magellan’s first circumnavigation of the globe in 1520. They spotted the animals near what was probably Punta Tombo in Argentina. (He called them “strange geese.”)
I thought that I would start this new Category of “Learn something new every day (or week). I thought since I am always preaching about learning something new every day, I thought that I’d start sharing something new that I’ve learnt during the week. I could try posting something every day, but we all know that I could NEVER keep that up! Now, you may be aware of what I write about, but to me it’s new and to others it could be as well. I encourage everyone to share what they know about what I write about.
Welcome to my very new post of “Learn something new every week”!
I wanted to start off with happy facts, since it’s been such a weird couple of weeks and it seems like there has been very little happiness out there lately.
Did you know that Cat’s don’t generally meow to each other? They generally only meow to human beings. When they “speak” with each other it’s generally through eye contact, body language and smell.
Meowing and Yowling – ASPCA
Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
Write a post to show your award.
Share 7 facts about yourself.
Select 15 other bloggers you want to give this award to.
Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them and provide the link to the post you created.
I was really happy and honoured to receive this “Versatile Blogger Award” nomination, and I have finally been able to get around to it.
Thank you so much Emilyxonline for nominating me! You should definitely head over there and check out her really lovely Blog, you wont regret it! Please give her some love as well as she heads into surgery!
So what is this award all about
Versatile Blogger Award — It is an award given by a blogger to another blogger which is new in the world of blogging to help them gain confidence and push them to do a good job on what they’re doing. It is also designed to help other bloggers be discovered.
If you check out the top of my post you will find the set of rules you need to follow for this tag!
7 FACTS ABOUT ME:
- I have been seeing a hypnotherapist for about 5 months about, my first appointment was in December. I have learnt that Hypnotherapy wont work for everyone, it is helping me too manage my anxiety issues, but I have noticed that I’m not “cured” either. Hypnotherapy won’t work on everyone and it works at different levels for people and my Hypnotherapist made that very clear too me on the very first visit and I think that’s why I respect him so much.
- I’m at a point in my life where I feel completely torn all the time. It’s very stressful. Whenever I’m at my partners hour I miss my house and my dog and my Mum and my bed, and then when I’m at my home I miss everything about my Partner and his cat. I’m trying to move into my partners house, but finding a permanent job up there is proving difficult.
- I’m at that point where I very much dislike going on Facebook or Instagram, the only place I really enjoy going “on” anymore is Twitter. I have a feeling that’s because you don’t always get a lot of “suggested” posts on there. You get to see what you want too see. You also don’t get other peoples suggested posts, because they’re posting horrible things. Even the promoted ads don’t bug me.
- The last couple of years I’ve been chucking things out, and oh my goodness, I have a lot of stuff! Just recently we’ve been going through a lot of boxes that haven’t been opened in about 10 years, I have a lot of stuff!
- Writing about having a lot of stuff. At the end of each season I wash all the Summer/Winter/Spring and Autumn clothing that I wore during that season and start chucking out the tops/pants etc that I did not wear during that season. Usually as a season ends I realise how much clothing I have and they don’t all fit in again. In the first couple of weeks as the new season begins I will chuck out clothing from the last season.
- I have Googled myself and I can’t find much on myself. It actually takes me quiet a while to find myself anywhere, which is kind of great too. Even my Facebook profile, because I use a nickname as my last name. So people have a hard time finding me. There’s some good tricks there!
- I’m very low maintenance ,style wise, it’s probably border line lazy to some. Even brushing my hair annoys me at the moment, but that’s probably because it’s really long and takes me about 10-15 minutes to brush it and still ends up in a huge knot 30 minutes later.
15 Bloggers I will nominate in this award:
Sorry I keep meaning to say that if you want to do this, please feel free!
Today is officially Internationals Women’s Day…I say officially because I got all confused last week when people starting talking about “World Book Day” every where has different different dates. So I thought that I had better double check. Seems like today is the official day.
Every year there is also a theme for that year, this year the theme is #BeBoldForChange.
International Women’s Day: #BeBoldForChange website
How will you be Bold for a Change?
This is a great day to reflect and take a look at those women who we admire and why we admire them. Too take a look at ourselves and question what we can do to make the lives of others better. Not just women, but for all. I think considering the type of people who are in charge of running our countries, not just the orange Oompa Loompa, we NEED to take a long hard look at ourselves and see what we’ve become.
11 Facts about Women around the World … Do Something. Org
23 Fast Facts about Women’s Oppression Worldwide (Blog)
10 Facts about Women in the World … World Food Programme . com
Did you know: There is also an International Men’s Day, which is held on the 19th of November
Which women do you admire and why?
…I am so glad to see that week over and done with! It’s been a weird horrible week. I had a cold for most of it, I usually don’t have them that long. Which them exasperated my “new found” anxiety, because my brain was trying to fight two things at once. Which made me feel like I had a set back, so I had to relax where I couldn’t worry.
On a completely different and unrelated topic though, I have found this amazing work out master. His name? The Fitness Marshall…and he is SO much fun! I hate working out, when I have to, I try and find something fun to work out with, otherwise I just give up. I recommend though doing his warm up videos first, you will get into them and although the step seem simple, it’s intense!
Uploaded by: The Fitness Marshall
Published on 6 Jun 2016
People often wonder why I don’t have too much on my “Funny Fact Fridays” categories. I don’t usually end up posting too much on Friday, and I try to make them more fun posts, than all heavy and deep.