48. Your Job
I have two jobs at the moment, I work as a casual at both places. I am actually looking to get a more permanent position, I can go a couple of weeks without any work…Which is not where I want to be. However being a casual has a couple of perks and you mainly make more money (when you get the work). So I have had to become a really good saver. I can also say no to work as well. If something happens, that I don’t have to work (but I don’t get paid if I don’t work).
I have taken the last couple of weeks to help recuperate and I feel like I’m getting stronger, so I’ve asked to go back. So far, they don’t really have any shifts for me. Which is a little frustrating, I want to get back into everything. Get back into a routine again. Work is good in that it gives you something else to think about. Instead of staying at home and going through a morning routine and then nothing else to think about for the rest of the day. There have been a few times in life where I’ve appreciated having work to go to instead of hanging around all day and thinking.
But you have to get the right job for you
Working in the Library is something that I’ve wanted to do for years and I am so happy to finally be apart of it. It’s taken me about two years to get that first foot and sometimes, that’s what you need!
Over the last month or so I have been working in a different location, but doing the same job and after next week everything changes! I go back to my usual work location and I have my new dream job training. I am still really sad though to be leaving where I’ve been working, my coworkers were lovely and I’ll miss the students cooking. Plus the work was regular and set days, instead of wondering week to week what, or if I’ll even get a shift.
There is comfort in regularity.
Not only did I get a great accidental photo of this smiling fruit …
but I got it…I got my first step into my dream job =D
I have been fighting to get a position in the Library field, for such a long time now, and in a small town it is an incredibly hard feat. Once you tend to get into a Library here, you tend to be in it for life. Even with all my education and volunteer work, I wasn’t even getting close. I always got overlooked for other people who were already in the industry, but wanted to work at the location I wanted too. I came pretty close earlier in the year, but nope.
It was literally a catch 22, I was always told, you would fit in great here and we wanted to give you the first step in the door, but we’re going to give the job to someone whose already working.
I had a job interview today for a job that I really want. Getting a Library job around here is SO tough. Once people are in one, they tend to stay in Libraries for life. So to get any foot in, can take years…Literally years…It’s taken me over a year just to get this interview! I have Certificates and all sorts of things, I was volunteering, but I had to stop because it clashed with my paid work too much.
One of the other horrible things about living in a small town, dreams jobs are hard to come by. I have considered doing something else on the side, but what do you do?!
Share Your World … Week 23
What was one of your first moneymaking jobs (other than babysitting or newspaper delivery)?
I was a call centre operator and oh my goodness, I would rather work at a funeral home, then work at a call centre ever again! You have to have a thick skin for that one!
What is your favorite month of the year?
People are always surprised to hear that my favourite month is December and not my birthday month of April. I don’t hate my birthday month, but how often during your birthday do you actually get to do what you want to do? As I get older especially I’ve noticed that I am having to cater to other people on my birthday. We have to go to certain restaurants because people don’t like the selection at the one I like.
What three things in nature do you find most beautiful?
- Any baby animal, furry, scaly, feathers…Have you ever seen a baby birds heading bopping…So cute! So vulnerable!
- Any beautiful lake or pond. Where my partner lives he lives near this man-made pond and even though it’s man-made. There are so many different birds and it’s really nice waking up to the sound of the birds.
- Butterflies, have you ever seen a monarch butterfly? There are so pretty and seem so fragile. I don’t think they live for very long though. Every time I see a butterfly, I stop and look.
List at least five of your favorite spices? (excluding salt and pepper)
I don’t need to write 5, any spice that’s spicy!
So I ended the week on a really awesome note…I have gotten another contract with my current employment. We have gotten the original contract that we had when we go through the quieter periods, and I might not be able to get as many hours as before…but it’s SOMETHING!
I have now turned 30 + 1, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to write about what I learnt in my 20’s as I now head into my 30’s…Scary as!
1. If you are lucky enough to have a good family, this is extremely rare, spend all the family time you can with them.
2. You don’t have to get drunk ALL the time, know your limits, not only will you not throw up but you wont have a hangover the next day!
3. Facebook does not equal best friends for life.
4. Take all the selfie’s you want too! You don’t have to post them on Facebook or Instagram, but if they make you feel good…Go for it!
5. Make time for friends and your romantic relationships.
6. Have at least ONE passionate lover that you do not date and you can be friends with afterwards. (Be safe!)
7. Volunteer or stand up for at least one cause you are completely passionate about!
8. You do not know everything…Listen.
9. Make time for yourself.
10. Not everyone is going to get married, live together and have children in that order and it IS okay not to have children.
11. If you have a passion for your job, or find a job you are passionate about, stick with it and improve at it!
12. If you have children in your 20’s, don’t let the rest of the world babysit and take care of your babies. Take pride in raising your children and don’t let the rest of the world tell you what makes a “good” or “bad” parent. Don’t be ashamed though to ask for help! There’s a lot of willing to help out there!
13. Not everyone is and will be your best friend for life, but you will figure out who your “real” friends are.
14. It’s okay to let go and still care about a person.
15. Do not let bad relationships waste your time or control your life. If you can’t let go…Get Help!
16. I repeat…Facebook does NOT equal best friends for life.
17. Sometimes you just need a cuddle from and with someone or an animal that is warm.
18. Do NOT stop reading! It doesn’t matter what it is, never stop reading!
19. Go to a local festival, convention, concert or to theatre at least one a year!
20. It is completely normal to be in your Twenties (heading towards your Thirty) and have a crush on a Celebrity.
Have a passion that is all your own! Like myself and my Blogging =D
I cannot lie I’ve been working full time at a casual rate over the last couple of months and I am finally getting ahead with my finances. After Christmas was over (which feels like another life time ago already) my finances were bad.
It is a really great feeling to be able to do some retail therapy and not feel like I’m eating to “cookie jar” hehe.
I like dresses…I have too many now though, I’ve gotten to the rule now that when I buy a new dress I have to get rid of a dress…What is your retail therapy?
I have been volunteering at the Library I am currently volunteering at for nearly two years now and I just found out recently that another whole group of my classmates were hired for actual casual work within this Library, even though they came after me.
This was probably the 5th group of casuals that have been hired since I started volunteering there. As you can imagine this was the last straw for me.
So this time instead of “letting it go” I decided to ask them if there was anything that they could tell me, were they able to give me some honest feedback? According to them I’m not doing anything wrong (they would have let me know by now if I was) I just hadn’t sent in my application in again since March. Which I’m struggling a little with since I sent them an updated resume in December, when I obtained my new employment…But whatever…
The reason for this Blog today is though, I was completely pleasant while making noise and making sure that they know that I am there and I will not be ignored and I will not be going away. With no need to be aggressive.
So stand up for yourself, if it’s something that you want (in my case working in this Library would be the ultimate career and the ultimate work location too) go for it! Sometimes they may genuinely not know that you are even there! You don’t need to be aggressive or nasty, but go for it!
Stand Up and make some noise! Let them know that you are there!