I heard about a Copyright drama on Twitter regarding the new Tolkien t.v. series, I didn’t actually see anything about it. But I thought I would write a little about Copyright and what I know and what I understand about. I studied to become a Librarian a few years ago, Copyright is a BIG issue and a complicated one.
It’s a complicated issue, mainly because it’s varies from country to country and format to format.
The main thing you need to know, is that as soon as you create something that is tangible (perceptible), it is automatically protected by copyright. Basically, as soon as you start to create, like writing a poem in a book, sketches in a art book, start to compose a song. As as you and other can “see it” it is automatically protect by copyright. You don’t need to apply for anything, although you absolutely can.
The other main thing to know that, which Country your work is created in. Your work will apply to that Countries Copyright Laws. It can beied together by a series of international agreements, ie the Berne Convention. The vast majority of countries recognise reciprocal rights in fellow treaty countries.
Too make it a little more easier sense, I am going to use the current Tolkien t.v. series as an example.
- Currently, Amazon (US) only has some rights to the t.v. series of LotR series. They can not make changes to the movies or the Tolkien’s work.
- Amazon will be the producer in conjunction with the Tolkien Estate (UK) and The Tolkien Trust (UK), HarperCollins (UK/US) and New Line Cinema (US).
- You can give all rights and/or some rights to other people/companies.
- Exclusive worldwide rights to motion picture, merchandising, stage and other rights in certain literary works of J. R. R. Tolkien including The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were sold by Tolkien himself to United Artists in 1969 and are currently owned by Middle-earth Enterprises (formerly Tolkien Enterprises), inc. Located in Berkeley, California.
- In 1976 United Artists sold most of their rights to Tolkien’s work to Saul Zaentz Company, who have licensed all subsequent authorized adaptations of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings through Middle-earth Enterprises. However United Artists retains the world distribution rights to film adaptations. These are currently exercised by their parent company MGM, which under contract co-financed The Hobbit film trilogy.
Like I said, it’s all complicated, lol.
Well not really, but catchy title, no?
I was talking with some friends and we were talking about the insaneness of the last few years, in some big countries. Then we started to talk about, the why and the how.
How did such great countries, manage to vote in such utter losers and tossers? How did we even get Trump, Morrison, Johnson etc to begin with? I don’t know anyone who voted for them, so I can’t ask why. Or at least no one is admitting to me that they voted for Morrison.
But how?! I had always though these big powerful countries were smarter than that. Even though Biden won, it wasn’t a landslide.
We need to investigate!
Well here we are again =D
Share Your World…January 1st, 2018
What one word describes you best?
At the moment it feels “relieved” is the first word that comes to mind. You know that feeling when you’ve been in a really bad relationship for a really long time, and then it’s over…and you just feel relieved, that’s where I am right now.
I think the general word that I would used for myself overall would be steady. No matter how good or bad things are, I never lose it with others. I try to use the same routines to keep myself together and I keep treating everyone the same.
What is set as the background on your computer?
If you have been to a foreign country name those you have been too?
I’ve just been mainly to the UK and the US of A…I have family and friends in both the countries.
What inspired you or what did you appreciate this past week? Feel free to use a quote, a photo, a story, or even a combination.
I lost lifelong friends this week…In all honesty though, I am alright. I haven’t cried, I have been laughing a lot and I have been get a lot of stuff done and I’ve been getting out a lot! The wonderful thing everyone else has just been amazing! Everyone else in my life has been doing what those “life-long friends” SHOULD have been doing. I think that’s the reason I just feel so amazing! I almost feel guilty for not feeling more upset…Only just almost ~.^
Uploaded by: BryanMcFaddenVEVO
Published on 25 Oct 2009
32. A city you’ve visited
I guess I would have to talk about Arizona in the United States of America. A few years ago I went there for a few months a time every few months….I would work my butt off in Australia for a few months and then stay in Arizona for a few months. I was actually dating someone from Arizona and then of course, it just never seemed to work out.
I am grateful for it for a few various reasons. It was the bravest thing I had ever done. Everyone was shocked that I went over there, including myself. I never seemed the type to go over and potentially get stood up in a “foreign” country. Which actually nearly happened, because he went to the area.
Also though it made me brave for so many different reasons. I travelled by myself and I do get airsick. I had to learn to do a lot by myself. Travelling to America taught me how to really cook, rather than just heat things up. Walking around by myself, my partner at the time worked retail at Walmart and it was about 10-15 minute walk. I used to walk around and buy grocery shopping, I learnt a lot to do by myself.