Oh my goodness! Intersex people get forgotten a lot. So they need all the days and time that they can get! Let’s give them our time, they are human too after all.
Once again, I’ll just remind anyone reading this, that I am cis gender straight woman. So if I write something wrong, or get something incorrect, please let me know. I write from a place of privilege and I acknowledge that.
Intersex is a general term used for a variety of situations in which a person is born with reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn’t fit the boxes of “female” or “male.” Sometimes doctors do surgeries on intersex babies and children to make their bodies fit binary ideas of “male” or “female”. Doctors always assign intersex babies a legal sex (male or female, in most states), but, just like with non-intersex people, that doesn’t mean that’s the gender identity they’ll grow up to have.
There are currently around 30-40 variations of Intersex.
Now clearly from my upper paragraph. The biggest issue that Intersex people have are Doctors getting the “okay” to do unnecessary surgery on newborns, from the parents. The fact that a lot of intersex infants don’t get to have a choice later on in life. Their body and their choices are taken over by others, before they can even speak, about where THEY think they “fit”.
But activism by and for intersex people is growing, leading to some changes in our culture, which right now treats intersex as a medical problem instead of a natural, healthy way bodies can be. Today, more and more people believe unnecessary surgery and other medical interventions shouldn’t be done on intersex babies and children at all. Instead, intersex people should be able to decide for themselves when they’re older if they want treatment or surgery.https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/gender-identity/sex-gender-identity/whats-intersex
I’m not really sure what to write about, because, again, I am not intersex and so I just don’t feel comfortable writing about “facts” so to speak. What I will write about though is how you can help the Intersex community, and I will also post some links you can find out how you can help yourself.
- Research what you can, and listen to Intersex people. Now, like with any group, I have seen close minded Intersex people, who go out of their way to harm the trans community (as a example). With any researching and listen, make sure you listen to more than one person.
- Intersex Human Rights Australia
- Respect how a Intersex person, determines for themselves, to be who they are.
- A low-range statistic for traits evident at birth is around 1 in 2,000 people (.05% of births) but a more likely figure may be closer to 1.7%. Roughly the same amount of people with red hair.
- Being Intersex is not a health issue. Intersex people, have a healthy body. The biggest issue is with fertility.
- Some Intersex people do and some do not find the term “hermaphrodite” offensive.
- Some are LGBT and some are not.
- Intersex people are just regular people, as you or I. The only way it is a mental health issue, is from the shame that Intersex people may experience.
What is Intersex? Planned Parenthood (America)
Affirm the: 2017 Darlington Statement (Australia)
SOGIESC Unit: Fact sheet on Intersex Person Rights (South Africa)