Formals or Proms as they are called in Australia are an interesting time in a young persons life. No matter what year of schooling that they may be in. There is SO much pressure to have the perfect “dance”. The perfect dress, the perfect “ride”…and of course the perfect date…But do you NEED to even have a date?
I went to both of my senior formal/proms without a date and I ended up having the most fun. Here’s my list of reasons why:
- I didn’t have to worry about my date “looking” at other girls. Apparently that was a big issue at both of them. Especially for my best friend whose then boyfriend got depressed over how his gorgeous his ex looked (they subsequently got back together a couple of week later and now my best friend has gotten rid of all those photos).
- I could dance to any song that I wanted too. Without having someone else sulk.
- All the slow couple dances song, I just ate my food and most of the guys either complained the whole time, or just didn’t dance anyways.
- I still got to take photos with everybody and actually missed a group photo because I was dancing having a lot of fun! Funnily enough all the “couples” had nothing else too do.
- The only couples that actually seemed to have any fun were the ones that had been together for a while. In fact, at both my Formals the most happier couples had been together over both the Year 11 and Year 12 Formals consecutively.
- I didn’t have to “colour match” with anyone else either, I could wear whatever colour I wanted, and whatever style of dress too!